Kiyomizu Kannon-do Temple and the “Tsuki no Matsu” (The pine tree of the Moon) (清水観音堂と「月の松」)

Tenkai Sojo (1536~1643), the high priest of the Tendai sect, opened Kan’ei-ji temple in 1625 on the mountain of Ueno, which was donated for a temple by Hidetada TOKUGAWA, the second shogun in Edo era. He imitated Hieizan Enryakuji Temple as the guardian of Kyoto Imperial Palace’s kimon (northeast) gate, meaning the “Evil Gate,” and built Toeizan Kan’ei-ji Temple as the guardian of Edo Castle’s Kimon (northeast) gate.

He imitated Kiyomizu-dera Temple in Kyoto and biult Kiyomizu Kannon-do Temple in Ueno in 1631. Because the halls of Kan’ei-ji Temple had been burnt down in the Boshin war, Kiyomizu Kannon-do Temple is the oldest existing temple on the mountain of Ueno at the time of its foundation and is designated as a National Important Cultural Property.

And high priest Tenkai used Shinobazu Pond in Ueno to resemble Lake Biwa in Kyoto and called on a deity of Benzaiten from Chikubu-shima Island in Lake Biwa to make a branch shrine, Sinobazu no ike Bentendo.

A pine tree whose branches was bent round in the shape of the Moon is planted in the middle of the front of the stage of Kiyomizu Kannon-do. It is called the “Tsuki no Matsu” and was impressively depicted by the Ukiyoe painter, Hirosige Utagawa in Edo era. The first “Tsuki no Matsu” lost in a typhoon in the Meiji era. The one that is currently in existence is the second generation, and it was reproduced in December 2012. You can see Sinobazu no ike Bentendo through the “Tsuki no Matsu” from the stage. Though the scenery has changed a lot because of many buildings around there, we can enjoy feeling the atmosphere of the Edo era from the view through the “Tsuki no Matsu.

天台宗僧侶であった天海僧正(てんかいそうじょう)(1536~1643)は、寛永2(1625)年に、二代将軍徳川秀忠公から寺地として寄進された上野の山に寛永寺を開きました。京都御所の鬼門封じの役割を担った比叡山延暦寺に対し、江戸城の鬼門を守る東の比叡山という意味合いを込め東叡山寛永寺としています。

寛永8(1631)年には、京都清水寺を模して清水観音堂を創建しました。寛永寺の諸堂は、戊辰戦争などで焼失しているため、清水観音堂は、上野の山に現存する、創建年時の最古の建造物であり、国指定重要文化財となっています。

さらに、天海大僧正は不忍池を琵琶湖に見立て、琵琶湖に浮かぶ竹生島(ちくぶしま)から弁才天を勧請し、不忍池辯天堂(しのばずのいけべんてんどう)を建立しています。

清水観音堂の舞台正面の真ん中には枝を丸くし月をかたどった松の木が植えられています。「月の松」と呼ばれ、江戸時代の浮世絵師、歌川広重の浮世絵にも印象的に描かれました。初代「月の松」は明治時代に台風で失われ、現在あるものは2012年12月に復元された二代目です。舞台から「月の松」越しに不忍池辯天堂が見えます。周辺にビルが立ち並び景色は変貌しましたが、「月の松」越しの光景は江戸時代の風情を感じられるようで楽しめます。

Ikuyo.K.


RECENT POSTS

ALL